Monday, July 26, 2010

Hong Kong Food Trip Part VII : Random HK Fare in Mongkok


Okay, I decided to sort of combine the food we had in Mongkok into one post, for a more enjoyable (smoother?)  reading experience. We went to the bustling Mongkok area at night for dinner and chanced upon this packed eatery. Forgot the name, as it was not particularly unique. Just assumed that the food would be good, judging from the number of patrons. 

The first dish was simple, ham and mixed vegetables fried rice. Humble dish, yet the whole family couldn't resist from taking seconds. The aromatic smell vaguely resembled our hawker style fare, but somehow I tasted very little oil in this dish. 

 

Next we ordered the kailan. Which is one of the most ordered dishes in Hong Kong, apparently. Due to its amazing crunchiness. Seriously, you could actually hear the stalk breaking as you munch your way through.


And then we ordered the sweet and sour fish and pork. Two separate dishes, but the same style. The highlight of the dish : pineapples. If you're a pineapple lover like me, you would definitely enjoy this dish to the last bit. The sauce is not starchy, just the way I like my sweet and sour.

 

After some last minute shopping within the vicinity, we headed to the famous Hui Lao Shan for dessert. Above is the drink my sister ordered. Something fruity, I've forgotten the name.


I had the cold red bean soup. Not bad, but a little too thick for my liking. I'm used to the more dilute version my mom always makes. Had a lot of red beans and lotus seeds, so it's worth the price.


Lastly, we ordered the mango mochi. Or glutinous rice balls, as some call it. Very good texture with a substantial amount of mango-ey goodness tucked inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment